This to give you an idea what happens technically if you shift gears;
Chain Rings - bolted into the cranks.
It come in three size ranges.
- big ring (48-42 teeth),
- middle ring (36-32 teeth),
- small or "granny ring" (26-20 teeth).
- Modern sprockets consist of 7-9 size ranges from 36-11 teeth.
- Normally, the 7 & 9 speed sprockets have the same heavy and light gear.
- The difference is in the mid-range gears.
- The 9-speed sprocket has more mid-range speed which lessens the change in speed upon up or down shift.
Rear derailleur Components